fbpx
October 20, 2018

How to Live Life on Purpose

Words like “intention” and “authenticity” are thrown around to the point their meanings are muted or even ignored. But despite being millenial buzz words they are worth paying attention to. At their root they are biblical concepts.

What does it mean to live with intention and authenticity? It means you take responsibility for your actions and live each day with honest integrity. It means you banish blame and excuses from your mind and stand firm in who God made you to be. It means you live life on purpose and stop floating by.

Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. For we are each responsible for our own conduct. (Galatians 6:4-5)

Chuck Swindoll says 10 per cent of life is what happens to you and the other 90 per cent is how you respond. This is a great way to refocus when things don’t go your way, when you experience loss and failure, and when bad things happen. You always have a choice and the sooner you take responsibility for your actions, thoughts, and goals the sooner you become an active participant in your life.

Many of us chase happiness but we look outward to things like money, power, and control instead of upward to finding security and joy from who God says we are and who He made us to be. This is the secret to having joy no matter what your circumstances.

“Don’t be dejected and sad, for the joy of the LORD is your strength!” (Nehemiah 8:10)

Living life on purpose also means you have to be honest with yourself—what are your dreams? What are your goals? These can be difficult to admit because you may fail. And then what? Is the fear of defeat too much to bear? But what if God planted those dreams in your heart and by tamping them down you’re avoiding your calling? What if you experience deep satisfaction and fulfilment as a result of following your unique path? Isn’t it worth finding out?

There are a few ways to discover your calling or passion or whatever the word is these days. First take a look at your likes and dislikes—pay attention!—and notice what energizes you and what drains you. Once you have a list of likes and dislikes, think about what experiences you want to have, what you want to learn, and who you want to help. Writing down your thoughts will help you find clarity.

Here are the verses I hold on to whenever I’m making a big decision and don’t know if I can trust my feelings. “Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart’s desires. Commit everything you do to the LORD. Trust him, and he will help you,” (Psalm 37:4-5).

Figuring out where you want to go also means letting go of what’s holding you back. This can be difficult, but it’s worth it. Still unsure? Ask God to guide your thoughts in this process.

Face your fears, be honest with yourself, focus on your goals, and trust the Lord. Life is short. Stop saying “one day,” and start working towards becoming who you were meant to be.

mm

Robyn Roste

A writer, blogger, and content marketer based in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Robyn is passionate about turning piles of ideas into powerful communication tools.

View all posts

Newsletter

Get Faith Strong Today in your inbox!

Advertisement