- Warren Dean Flandez – 2017 GMA Canada Covenant Award winner for Best Gospel & Urban Song of the Year and Juno Award nominee. Not confined by genre specific stereotypes, Flandez’s album ‘Eternally Grateful’ is a soulfully charged, urban infused gospel record that spreads the Word in a non-traditional way. His latest release called ‘Speak’ is quickly impacting Canadian radio.
- Jamie Kuse – an award winning engineer and producer from Vancouver, including being nominated for a 2017 Juno Award and recipient of three WCMA’s for Outstanding Hip-Hop/Rap Recording (2011), Outstanding Electronic Recording (2014) and Outstanding Hip-Hop/Rap Recording (2015). He has spent the last 15 years in the studio working to innovate and refine his signature bold, crisp sound.
- Drew Brown – Juno and Covenant Award nominated artist, Singer-songwriter, worship leader, GMA Canada “Male Vocalist of the Year” and “Producer of the Year”, and co-host of ‘Between The Grooves’! Drew’s passion extends into helping other artists through Personic Creative Collective, focusing on art, communication and community.
What we talk about:
- Warren’s journey from growing up in Yellowknife, then moving to a very different environment.
- Joining a choir and tuning out negative influences in life.
- Being pushed to create a pop record, compromising your own passions for Gospel and R&B.
- Jamie’s “origin story” – growing up in a musical household.
- Playing jazz trumpet and being forced to play in concert band too.
- Discovering recording software and getting into a stronger love for sound production.
- Setting up a home studio and producing neighbourhood kids’ hip-hop records.
- Discussing R&B and soul music in Canada – the audience is there.
- Learning a completely different Christian music industry in the U.S., compared to Canada.
- Being told that moving away from pop music to Gospel was a step backwards.
- Writing good songs instead of trying to write a “hit” record.
- How a season of self-care can help you move forward.
- The wealth of talent Canada has, and how to provide opportunities.
- Jamie’s first step as a producer when working with an artist.
- How the role of a producer has evolved.
- The song writing process, and surrounding yourself with people who truly know you.
- The process of creating Eternally Grateful and the progression to the new album.
- Who are their mentors and how are they mentoring others.
Connect with Warren:
Connect with Jamie:
Join the Faith Strong Community:
Explore the Faith Strong Podcast Network: