This week we are wikiing God with Eileen Henderson of Circles of Support and Accountability Canada, a program for men and women who have committed serious sexual offences. Though certainly a sensitive topic, Mark Groleau sits down with Eileen to better understand this behaviour. More importantly, how we as Jesus-followers should respond to those often seen with only fear and anger.
Eileen Henderson and Mark Talk About…
- her early life in Guelph and her first encounter with a correctional facility
- how her passion for restorative justice was ignited
- the story of Charlie Taylor and Harry Nigh
- what it’s like for someone convicted of sexual offences to be released into the community
- the groups of volunteers and how they became Circles of Support and Accountability
- how the organization approaches (re)eoffenders from an addiction perspective
- what the support of the volunteers practically looks like out of that model
- why behaviour does not occur in a vacuum and is often the products of an unhealthy environment
- how opportunity and friendship reduce one’s risk to reoffend
- advice on how we might respond to an ex-offender in the neighbourhood
Like what you heard on today’s episode? Be sure to rate the podcast on iTunes and join the conversation by leaving Mark and Eileen a note in the comments!
About the Podcast
Mark Groleau sits down with fellow Jesus-followers, sharing their beliefs and stories to “wiki” a better understanding of God. This is where theology and faith collide to help each other grow and shape a more compelling God for everyone.